Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands
When Seattle Parks and Recreation decided to shut down a city nursery on this site, neighbors were asked to dream about what they’d like to see here. An urban farm was the consensus, and the idea took root. Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands (RBUFW) is Seattle's largest urban farm.
The Friends of Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands are the visionaries and driving force behind the farm. Seattle Tilth has been managing the site since 2011. Many community organizations collaborate at Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands, making it a dynamic community farm that is growing produce to feed the community both fresh produce and a sense of empowerment that comes with learning and accomplishment.
Construction is Underway!
After a successful capital campaign to raise funds and improve Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands, construction has finally begun and is expected to be complete in April 2017. We are thrilled that the dream to build an urban agriculture center in Seattle’s Rainier Beach neighborhood – with functional year round facilities — is becoming a reality! Friends of Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands, Seattle Tilth, Seattle Parks and Recreation and Seattle Parks Foundation are grateful to the many donors, volunteers and Farm enthusiasts who came together to complete this ambitious fundraising effort. Rainier Beach Urban Farm is 7 acres in a residential neighborhood on the shore of Lake Washington. Here’s what we have to look forward to when construction and site improvements are complete, based on an architectural design by Berger Partnership.
- Better use of site. The site improvements will demonstrate the “farm to table” experience and bring to life the food system in a powerful and interconnected way with full community engagement.
- Improved access. The new gate at Beer Sheva Park will allow community members greater access to the farm. A new circle drive will better accommodate school buses, delivery vans, service trucks and physically disabled visitors.
- New classroom. A new building will provide extensive opportunities for hands-on environmental stewardship and food production education for the community, directly onsite at a community based urban farm.
- Commercial kitchen. Food harvested at the farm will be prepared for eating, providing cooking and nutrition education for schools and community groups. This is the first time we will have a functional kitchen for cooking, teaching and food preparation.
- More food production. The construction of four greenhouses will enable us to increase production of fresh produce at the farm, making healthy food more accessible for the community.
- Office space. Staff will work onsite to administer programs with modern facilities, being part of the fabric of the community.
- Permanence. Developments will establish a permanent home for the farm and its programs year round.
Follow Rainier Beach Urban Farm on Facebook
Read more about the farm
Attend a work party
The farm featured in Real Change
We offer the following benefits to donors who make contributions through Seattle Parks Foundation:
Parks Legacy Circle—Individuals whose estate plans include Seattle Parks Foundation receive all benefits listed below, for life!
$5,000—Invitation to a special thank-you dinner in a private home, plus all benefits listed below
$2,500—A Love Parks canvas tote bag, plus all benefits listed below
$1,000—Invitation to our annual Donor Gratitude event, plus all benefits listed below
$500—Invitation to Park Nibbles, an event featuring community heroes who are changing our city, plus all benefits listed below
$250—Invitation to our annual Spring Has Sprung Park Tour, plus the benefits listed below
$150—Strategic mailings from our executive director throughout the year, plus the benefits listed below
$50—Printed newsletters and electronic updates
All donors who have been giving for 5 years or more will also receive an invitation to our Loyal Donor Tea. To learn more contact Erin Miller at (206) 332-9900 x16 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Give a Matching Gift
Did you know that many employers will match your contribution to Seattle Parks Foundation dollar for dollar? When combined with your donation, these matching gifts can double or sometimes even triple your support to parks and public spaces.
Directing a matching gift to Seattle Parks Foundation is simple:
1. Contact your company’s personnel, human resources, or community relations department to see if they have a matching gift program.
2. If so, complete the steps provided by your employer and direct the matching contribution to:
Seattle Parks Foundation
105 South Main Street #235
Seattle, WA 98104
Give by Mail
Seattle Parks Foundation
105 South Main Street #235
Seattle, WA 98104
Please make all checks payable to “Seattle Parks Foundation”. If you'd like to donate to a specific project, please indicate the project name in the memo.
Give a Gift in Honor of Someone Special
Through Seattle Parks Foundation, you have the opportunity to honor a special person, mark a special occasion, or make a memorial gift while supporting our city’s parks and public spaces. After you make your gift, we will send a personalized card acknowledging your thoughtful donation to each honoree. Complete the donation form and include the name of the person you are honoring in the comments area. You can also add a brief note to be included in the card.
If you have additional questions about making an honor or memorial gift, contact Erin Miller at (206) 332-9900 x16 or email@example.com.
Give Shares of Stock
Making a stock gift to Seattle Parks Foundation is easy. Simply follow these steps to facilitate the transfer of shares:
1. Provide your broker with the following information:
Broker Account: Morgan Stanley
Account Rep: Polly Sidwell, 206.628.4885
Account Name: Seattle Parks Foundation
Account Number (aka Charitable Organization Information #): 135-028554
DTC Clearing: 0015
Account Address: 601 Union St. Suite 5200, Seattle, WA 98101
Seattle Parks Foundation Tax ID: 91-1998597
2. Remind your broker to include your name, contact information, and any special instructions for use of the gift with your transfer.
3. Contact Erin Miller, Director of Development, at (206) 332-9900 x16 or firstname.lastname@example.org with information about the type of stock you're giving and number of shares, as well as any special considerations you may have.
Give a Car
Have an old car taking up space in your driveway? Donate it to Seattle Parks Foundation! We accept most cars, trucks, trailers, boats, RV's, motorcycles, off road vehicles, heavy equipment and most other motorized vehicles. Your donation will be 100% tax deductible. To get started, simply complete the online donation form or call 855-500-7433 or 855-500-RIDE to speak to a representative. You can also read more on careasy.org.